Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Son - Rise. The Start . Great!!!




I never thought I would see the end of the tunnel with Autism, I always heard there was no cure and thought there was no alternative. I thought Adriel and Mathias would be this way the rest of there lives. That was until someone mentioned a in home program and stressed how important it was for me to start one. ( Thank You Linda Zint for pushing me into this)

So I did research, read a little bit about a few programs, but none of them made sense to me or seemed so abrasive. Except one, for once something made sense, something sounded right. This program believes that Autism is a brain injury effecting the part of the brain that controls social interaction and building relationships. There program incorporates play and a kids favorite toy, activity or 'ism" and Mom or Dad and some volunteers. ( Ism can also be known as a kids steming behavior).

Long story short I requested some information, had a phone consult and decided that this was the program. for the boys. Today was the 2nd day that I've done the program for 30 minutes with each kid. (Adriel and Mathias) I honestly didn't think I would see results for weeks, months or possibly years. But much to my surprise I've seen results in only days. Amazing considering where the boys are developmentally. The even more surprising thing is who reacted to the program the best.

Day 1

Adriel: So the first day I picked out a toy, the toy I picked out was legos. Adriel use to love these but didn't seem to pay much attention to them. Running by to occasionally kick them. My 30 minutes with Adriel was spent running about the room staring out the window and with him playing in the ball pit while I sat outside of it trying to mimic him. Pretty much did his "ism".

Mathias: Mathias's program session was a lot like Adriel. Only difference was Mathias and I sat down spending time putting Lego's in a row and occasionally running around the room, but soon returning to the activity of lining the Lego's up. Mathias's activity was certainly more difficult then Adriels and kept me thinking and was harder to follow. Again much like his brother Pretty much he just did his "ism".

Day 2
Adriel: The 2nd day went better. I pulled out a few toys I knew he liked, sat them in the middle of the room and we went upstairs to play. Adriel grabbed a handful and quickly did his "ism" ( running around with a hand ful of toys) . I followed. We did this for about 10 minutes and I noticed progress. The eye contact started at a little picnic type table, while stooped over it. I praised him and eventually it went to play. Him pushing on me with his hand to get me to fall over, I would quickly spring up and he would do it again, smiling and laughing. I even got to incorporate some of my play into his play. It was by far amazing. During our session he did several more activities that were amazing and are very unlike him. He socialized with me!!! After our session Josh reports that Adriel said cookie, Dad said he actually identified a cookie that he was holding getting ready to give it to Ellie.. Adriel also danced, something I have never seen him do, he normally can't stand music and often screams, cry's or covers his ears. Not tonight he danced with brother, sister, Josh and myself. Everyday may not be like this, but this day was the best I've had with Adriel in a while. I'm walking on sunshine!!!!

Mathias:
Mathias's second day was much like the first. This time he got more challenging and tried to turn away from me. I kept with it, had a smile on my face and kept myself thinking positively and pushed on. I'm very surprised to see Mathias is the one who is struggling, but it won't stop me from keeping on with the program. I will reach him no matter how long it takes, plus who knows, that good day may be right around the corner. If I stop now I will never know. Plus what do I have to loose?


No comments:

Post a Comment